High School Placement Test (HSPT)
- December 2, 2023
- December 9, 2023 (Makeup HSPT)
Registration Fee is $50
- Payment will be made online through the registration process.
This is a three and a half hour test. Time allocations are as follows:
Verbal Skills, 60 questions: 18 minutes
Quantitative, 52 questions: 30 minutes
Reading, 62 questions: 25 minutes
Mathematics, 64 questions: 45 minutes
Language, 60 questions: 25 minutes
English: Writing portion (essay), 25 minutes
Science Portion: (Optional) 40 questions, 25 minutes. For those who would like to be considered for honors Biology. The test will be given the same day you take the HSPT. (If your student is taking the HSPT at another location and would like to take the Science portion, registration coming soon.)
Seton Catholic Prep campus. You will receive an email with location and instructions a few days prior.
- Be well rested and have a good breakfast the day of the test.
- Arrive 10-15 minutes prior to exam time.
- The test begins promptly at your designated start time.
- Bring at least two #2 pencils.
- NO calculators permitted.
- Dress casually and comfortably. Bring a sweater/sweatshirt, as the rooms may be chilly.
- Water and snacks will not be provided. Students are welcome to bring their own snacks and water.
- The HSPT can only be taken once.
ACCOMMODATIONS FOR THE TEST
Seton Catholic provides extended test time for students with documentation (IEP/504 Plan/Support Plan). Documentation must be emailed to us at [email protected] one week prior to the test date.
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE HSPT
Visit Scholastic Testing Services HSPT Parent's Page here for answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
All students who apply for admissions to Seton Catholic Prep (as well as any of the Catholic high schools) must take the High School Placement Test (HSPT). It is important to note that each school utilizes this test differently, and it is incumbent upon the family to research and clearly understand each of the schools’ policies regarding the HSPT. At Seton Catholic Prep, the HSPT is used in two ways:
- It helps assess whether applicants possess the skills necessary for success within our academic program.
- It helps identify students who are capable of, and would benefit from, a more rigorous, honors level curriculum.
The HSPT provides a reliable, nationally normed, research-based indicator of a student’s ability and preparedness in Math, Science and English. While any individual test can never fully tell the whole story, when reviewed alongside other data points such as the Iowa Basics, AIMS and class performance, the results do provide a clearer picture of a student’s capacity for success in honors level classes.
By utilizing the HSPT results in conjunction with the application for admission, Seton Catholic Prep will offer students placement into honors level courses if the criteria for each discipline are met.
The HSPT is designed to verify that you have a solid 8th grade education. Test results may warrant that you attend summer school as a condition of admittance. A high score on the placement test does not guarantee your admission. Similarly, a low score does not guarantee that you won’t be accepted for admission.